It's winter in CNY - we might as well enjoy it!

Wise words...

"I cannot remember a time when I was not in love with them—with the books themselves, cover and binding and the paper they were printed on, with their smell and their weight and with their possession in my arms, captured and carried off to myself."
Eudora Welty

Monday, October 18, 2010

Thing #20

I've added an account for Library Success: a Best Practices Wiki, and plan to contribute to some topics based on recent NOPL projects and my own experience, particularly in the area of continuing education.  I didn't edit or contribute to any Wikipedia articles, but I explored the edit option, and the sandbox tutorials.  It was reassuring to see that they have protocols in place for verifying entries.

When Wikipedia first started up librarians expressed strong opinions - it offended our belief in reputable sources.  But it's here to stay, and I suspect that most of us consult it - I know that I do.  For things that don't matter - satisfying my curiosity about an actor, or an event - it's irresistible. I appreciate the links, and the breadth of coverage. I still wouldn't use it for things like medical or legal information.

Wikis as collaborative tools are very useful - thinking back to the wiki OCPL used for the Polaris implementation, for example, I can't imagine a more practical way to share information and problem-solving.

No comments:

Post a Comment