It's winter in CNY - we might as well enjoy it!

Wise words...

"I cannot remember a time when I was not in love with them—with the books themselves, cover and binding and the paper they were printed on, with their smell and their weight and with their possession in my arms, captured and carried off to myself."
Eudora Welty

Monday, October 18, 2010

Things #22 and #23

I created a Library Thing account back in May, but didn't do much with it at the time.  I've added some books, and wrote a quick review of a mystery I read this weekend.  Very easy to do, and probably a good idea for me, since I read quickly and constantly, and often would like to refresh my memory about something I've read. My Library Thing homepage

I looked at the similar sites listed too.  Shelfari is a little slicker looking, and might be fun to use.  I'm fascinated by the explosion of resources for readers.  We've been talking for a long time about the Internet's impact on the public's need, or perceived need, for traditional reference services, but it seems that readers' advisory has moved out of libraries and bookstores, and is exploding on the Internet.  And...we've always known that most people read based on personal recommendations and word of mouth - so what does this mean?  Readers now have enormous numbers of "friends" out in cyberspace to recommend books!  We have to resist the temptation to find this threatening, and see it as achieving a wish that's close to our hearts as librarians.  People - lots and lots of people - enthusiastically sharing their love of reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment